Scott Pilgram VS my GPA came out June 3rd 2016 on the album best buds. The song is in F# major 4 minutes long, 168 bpm and follows a 3/4 time. One review says "With only acoustic guitar and Butler’s vocals, it’s intriguing and grabs you from the first chord. As the song progresses, trumpet and drums are added, creating a wonderful background for Butler’s lies, repeating the lines “I’m happy here” and “I sleep well alone now.” The transition from soft the loud is wonderfully done and brings this album to an emotional peak that is well worth the wait."
The lyrics in the song paint the story of a failed relationship. Talking about all of the reasons they didn't get along like , smoking too much and not liking each others friends. The second verse dives into how the singer has accepted that the relationship isn't working out. Using "our old place" as a metaphor for their relationship he talks about how they shouldn't get back together because it would most likely end up in the same situation. The outro of the song is the repeated line of "I sleep alone now" that reiterates that the singer has moved on.
The range and melody in Scott pilgrim vs my gpa is not very broad, however I feel as this is intentional. The song sounds like someone who is sad over a break-up, its almost whiney and almost monotone, as if a friend was telling you the details of a break up and you can tell they are still upset about it. However at the end of the song the lead singer does what sounds like a very distant yell when he says "I sleep alone now". This can be heard over the singers very monotone singing. The gutair plays the same chords over making this feel familiar and helps you focus on the story thats being told.
References
Key & BPM for Scott Pilgrim V. My GPA by Mom Jeans. | Tunebat, tunebat.com/Info/Scott-Pilgrim-V-My-Gpa-Mom-Jeans-/0hBMssKd1e2FLXM46XaXJb. Accessed 27 Sept. 2024.
“Mom Jeans. Best Buds.” Sputnikmusic, 2016, www.sputnikmusic.com/review/75598/Mom-Jeans.-best-buds/.
Opinionsdesk, and Irene Moran. “Opinion: Midwest Emo Music: A Debate.” The Pitt News, 5 Feb. 2024, pittnews.com/article/186084/opinions/opinion-midwest-emo-music-a-debate/.
I really enjoyed your analysis of Mom Jeans! I also listen to a lot of Midwest Emo, and they also happen to be a favorite of mine in the genre, my favorite song is Death Cup though, on the same album. I agree that the limited range of vocal is very intentional, almost as if the singer is holding back more hurt and longing from entering their voice. It's a very moving song with a great instrumental that helps to tell its story.
ReplyDelete