Sunday, October 27, 2024

A Musical Trip To Mexico

 


    Ranchera music is a popular genre of music from Mexico that takes its name from the ranch lands on which the style was originally performed. Ranchera first began appearing during the Mexican Revolution around 1910. It can also be referred to as canción ranchera and is a cornerstone of traditional Mexican music. The lyrics heavily focus on love and patriotism. They evolved during the 10-year revolution to reflect more of the political climate at the time in Mexico. These songs were often used in movies during the 40's-60's.  Ranchera music uses a viriaty of instruments like guitars, trumpets and accordions and of course thier voices. The most celebrated ranchera singer in the world is the legendary Vicente Fernandez.

    Ranchera compositions typically incorporate rhythms inspired by waltz, polka. As all great things do the genre has evolved with time, by starting to incorporating folk and country music. Some notable songs and performers are José Alfredo Jiménez who stands out as one of the most influential composers, renowned for his impassioned love ballads and themes of heartbreak. More modern day artists are Jhon Alex Castaño and Paola Jara

References

Cabrera, Iliana. “Rancheras: A Passionate Traditional Mexican Music Genre: World Music Central.” World Music Central | Your Connection to Traditional and Contemporary World Music, Including Folk, Roots, Global Music, Ethno and Crosscultural Fusions, 1 Apr. 2024, worldmusiccentral.org/2024/04/01/rancheras-a-passionate-traditional-mexican-music-genre/.

“Donquijote.” Don Quijote, www.donquijote.org/mexican-culture/traditions/ranchera-music/. Accessed 28 Oct. 2024.

Ilich, Tijana. “Traditional Musical Styles That Make Mexican Music Unique.” LiveAbout, LiveAbout, 15 Apr. 2018, www.liveabout.com/music-of-mexico-son-ranchera-mariachi-2141530.

“Latin Roots: Ranchera.” NPR, NPR, 18 Oct. 2012, www.npr.org/2012/10/18/163197150/latin-roots-ranchera.

 

2 comments:

  1. Cool post, Haleigh! I really like your post, and I agree with you when you mentioned the variety of instruments. I have heard a couple of songs that have originated from Mexican cultures, and I can say the instruments do change! One thing that could help readers on your post, would be placing the music videos by themself instead of in the title of the performers because I was a little confused at first and thought you might have forgotten about placing in the music! But one thing I didn't know was Ranchera music specifically, I found your information on the background to be really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I was definitely not familiar with the history behind Ranchera music, so this was a good read. I would have liked to hear more about some of the instruments used in making Ranchera music.

    ReplyDelete

Why Do We Need Music? A Dive Into Music and Your Health.

Everyone listens to music, even if we don't realize it. Music is everywhere! When you are in the grocery store there's usually some ...